Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More on acid reflux medication

Well my acid reflux seems to be in check at the moment. The reason is that I have been taking double the dose of my Omeprazole medication, 20 mg instead of 10 for the last three days. It makes an incredible difference to me, so I really do not know why my doctor changed me from 20 mg to 10. On the 10 mg of acid reflux medication it is always touch and go whether I will get heartburn or not. While on the 20 mg dose it seems to completely stop the acid. I am going to have to find out why I should be on only the 10 mg dose?
The problem with taking medication as opposed to a more natural way of relieving the acid reflux is that they may have side effects, and when you read what the people who advocate the more holistic approach have to say about the medication they seem to think it is pretty dangerous. Another problem with the medication according to the holistic believers is that medication impedes the proper digestion of your food and also only treats the symptoms of heartburn but does not actually treat the cause. Therefore if you are on acid reflux medicine it is more than likely you will be on it for life. Not a pleasant thought I might add, but at least it is better than suffering heartburn everyday.

I think my next job will be to find out what the side effects of taking the medication are.

No comments: