Monday, May 21, 2007

My Acid reflux medication

My computer has been crashing on me so it’s been in the shop for over a week therefore no posts in that time. Just got it back so here we go.

Here in Cyprus where I am living at the moment holiday season has just started. There are many friends and family come out from now until the end of summer and it takes a great toll on anyone who suffers from acid reflux disease like myself.
I try to combat this sudden influx of extra food and drink that I indulge in by taking double the dose of the proton pump inhibitor I am on, upping the dose from 10mg to 20 mg a day. This works very well for me and I seem to tolerate everything throw at me while on this dose. I still curse the doctor who diluted my dose down to 10mg in the first place sending me back into a life of hell with daily heartburn problems.
My only concern is that the doctor reduced my dose of Omeprazole to reduce side effects. I keep reading different stories on this so am a bit bemused as to what the side effects are?
The normal side effects can include Stomach pain, gas, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and headaches. I have not suffered any of these symptoms and anyway they are easier to cope with than the pain of acid reflux.
So what else can go wrong? Well I have read that you can have an allergic reaction and will need emergency medical help if you have hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat. I also have not had any of these problems in the 10 or so years I have been on this acid reflux medicine. So what else can go wrong?
I have read a bit more and some more things that can go wrong if you overdose include blurred vision, drowsiness, fast heartbeat, and the normal sweating, nausea, headache, dry mouth, headache etc.
The point I am trying to make is that I have suffered no reaction at all with my acid reflux medication and my GERD has been in check until the doctor reduced my dose, so I am still in the dark as to what long term problems may occur if I was to take the 20mg of Omeprazole. If anybody out there knows the answer please let me know.

No comments: