Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Acid Reflux tips 3

I am still benefiting from the diet I started in regards to my acid reflux disease. The heartburn attacks are noticeably down. Te amount of medication is under control also, I am only taking my acid reflux medication when needed if I feel heartburn symptoms unlike before which I took on a daily basis whether I had acid reflux symptoms or not.

So if you are suffering daily I highly recommend that you change your diet and see where it takes you.

There is not one thing that you can pinpoint that will cause heartburn. It maybe your diet or a weakness in the muscles of the lower esophageal sphincter (the valve that opens and shuts to allow food into the stomach), hiatus hernia is another problem. Other problems can be poor digestion, pregnant women also suffer because of the pressure in the stomach from having a baby, stress and food allergies can also affect your acid reflux.

One of the easiest things you can do to help is to drink plenty of water, this helps dilute the acid, and drinking cabbage water will do the same but can also help to soothe the esophagus.

Another good natural remedy is Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root or DGL for short. This is used to soothe damaged tissue in the esophagus and stomach. You can buy it in tablet form and should take two 400 mg tablets about 20 minutes before a meal and let them dissolve in the mouth.

I already covered digestive enzymes in my last article but I thought to tell say that maybe the enzymes that digest protein are not a good thing to take if you have a stomach ulcer.

Aloe Vera is also a great for soothing and healing damaged tissue. I already take Aloe Vera with Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my joints so it has the added benefit for me of healing the tissue after a bout of acid reflux.

Herbal remedies like taking slippery elm and marshmallow root tablets also help to reduce inflammation of the esophagus.

To aid food digestion and promote good bacteria for the stomach you should take probiotics daily.

That’s all for now. Hope this helps.

No comments: