Saturday, July 28, 2007

natural cure for acid reflux

Lost another kilo on the diet this week, which is great as you do not feel like you are actually dieting. In fact I can eat as much as I want as long as it is the correct food for that day. It is still working well for my acid reflux and I am not taking much medication at all. I really only take the acid reflux medication if I know I am going out for a drink or a meal, which is doing something different to my diet. That’s when I know I will get heartburn if I do not take precautions.

Heartburn medication stops the natural function of the stomach. By reducing the acid it can affect your health in the long term.

Anyway I have found some more naturals remedies for acid reflux to help rebalance the stomach to the way nature intended.

Grapefruit: - using only organic grapefruit. Grate the rind and spread it onto a flat tray using all of the skin and allow it to dry. Place it in a storage jar. When you feel the first signs of acid reflux, eat a few strands of the grapefruit rind. Test how much you need to settle your stomach.

Cinnamon: - Cinnamon has been used throughout the ages for a variety of medical conditions because of its antiseptic effect. It is used in remedies for colds and flu and it has the ability to combat an acidic stomach. Toast and butter some raisin bread, sprinkle cinnamon on the bread, and add a touch of cardamom. One way to fight acid reflux starts the digestion process in the mouth so chew the bread slowly. Let the digestive juices in the mouth do their work in breaking down the food before it reaches the stomach.

Another natural cure uses slippery elm, mace and nutmeg: - these three items are notorious in fighting stomach complaints.

Slippery Elm bark can be found in most health food shops and is one of the most effective herbs for reducing stomach pain and irritation it protects, and coats the mucus membranes of the stomach and intestinal tract. Not only does it help to absorb excess stomach acid and help it mix better with food, it soothes and heals irritation along the entire digestive tract.

Use a pinch of nutmeg and mace with one teaspoon of slippery elm. Mix with water to make a paste. Boil 11/2 pints of water and add it to the paste. Mix and let cool. Drink about ½ a cup at a time.

Natural remedies can give you relief from heartburn pain when take correctly.

I have not tried any of these remedies but they are definitely on my list to try so that I can completely stop my prescription heartburn medication.

No comments: