Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Heartburn My Story.....part 2

This is a continuation of my second post. I am doing this as I am having awful trouble with blogger. It does not allow me to complete my post in one go. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know how to overcome this?


To continue.....I also found out that your stomach is full of acid to aid in digestion and that although your stomach is protected from the acid. Your esophagus is not….. This means that any content coming back into your esophagus can literally burn it. This is called acid reflux or the really technical name is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD for short.

Having a Hiatus Hernia seemed bad enough, but having the acid reflux can be a nightmare.
However the good news was that after my diagnosis I was put on an acid suppressant called Omeprazole. This absolutely changed my life (for the better). Although I was not supposed to, I found that I could eat and drink more or less whatever I liked and I did not get the massive bouts of pain from acid reflux.

At the time of my diagnosis I was working abroad and luckily received the treatment quickly. The tablets were working perfectly so I thought no more about it. I just took my daily Omeprazole table and carried on happily. However I recently returned to the UK and on registering with a new doctor I was asked how long I had been taking the Omeprazole. When I told him six years he immediately cut my dose from 20 mg to 10 mg and said I should only be on a low maintenance dose because of side effects. I did not know what side effects these were but started taking the reduced dose as advised. Virtually straight away all my old symptoms came back. The smaller dose just does not seem to be enough to keep the acid reflux at bay and still have the lifestyle I have been accustomed to. It seems as though I will have to change my lifestyle if I am to stay on the smaller doze of Omeprazole.

No comments: