Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Heartburn My Story.....part 1

Seeing that I was able to publish a short post I will now attempt to write what I originally intended to do...........

My experience with Acid Reflux and Heartburn

Information on Acid reflux heartburn and hiatus hernia

This is my experience of having acid reflux disease and a hiatus hernia. And the reasons for my search for help with information on the symptoms and cures.

Do you suffer from chronic heartburn….? I do

I am one of those unfortunate people that have a dreadful time with acid reflux.
Do you wake up in the middle of the night feeling that half the contents of your stomach are sitting in your throat…I do.

When I first noticed that I was getting heartburn more and more frequently, I went to see my GP and was prescribed the usual antacids. They worked fine for a while but then I was finding that I needed them more and more often. I was also finding I was feeling very full after eating or when I had a few drinks. I felt as though my food was more in my throat than my stomach. Also if I happened to lie down soon after a meal, which is something I used to love doing, I would get intense burning in my throat.

After several more visits to my Doctor without much improvement he suggested that I should have an endoscopy. Endoscopy is a procedure where a camera is inserted down your throat into your stomach allowing the Doctor to see the esophagus and stomach. This allowed them to diagnose that I had a Hiatus hernia. (What’s this you may ask? I did).

This is a condition in which part of the stomach slides above the diaphragm and into the chest. There is a valve like flap at the bottom of the esophagus which separates the esophagus from your stomach. In my case the valve was distorted by the hernia. When you eat the valve opens to allow your food into your stomach but then stays firmly shut to stop the food coming back up. (Reflux)

No comments: